Feeding Kittens: Things You Should Know About It
If we want our cat to grow healthy and active, we must provide a proper diet, balanced, and according to his needs. Therefore it is necessary to know all about feeding kittens.
The cat is a carnivore, and in its diet, the nutrients of animal origin are indispensable. Therefore its metabolism needs a large number of proteins and fats from both meat and fish.
Types Of Food For Feeding Kittens
We have several options to feed our little cat. The safest option and the one that will assure us a correct contribution of all the necessary nutrients is undoubtedly the commercial diet, the products specially formulated to cover all the cat needs. However, it is not harmful to supplement this diet with homemade foods and occasionally with other foods such as canned sardines or cooked sausage. Nor should we forget that many cats already supplement their diet naturally with small prey hunted at night. But this does not mean that the food we provide is insufficient; it is merely due to natural and mechanical behavior.
Our cat will appreciate a varied diet since they are demanding animals at the time of eating, they can reject foods that do not “smell” them well or even that are at a temperature that is unpleasant to them. And of course, in the same way, they could reject his preferred feed simply because he was bored with its taste.
Different Types Of Cat Food
• Dry food: It is in the form of a feed of different sizes and compositions. It is a balanced meal, an excellent option for a complete diet. Another exciting aspect is that the crunchy texture helps during the chewing to remove dental tartar. With this type of diet, the cat will need to drink more water.
• Wet food: We find it usually canned. This type of food is generally successful, although a diet exclusively of cans is not convenient. Therefore special attention must be paid to the composition or purchase of trusted brands. Wet food usually increases the smell of the breath and feces of the animal. Besides, these will often have a too soft consistency.
• Homemade food: It is Ideal to alternate with processed dry food. We can feed our cat with meat (roasted or cooked and without bones) or fish (cooked and without bones) seasoned with a vegetable, pasta, or rice.
After feeding the kittens, we should pay attention to water consumption by them. Water is essentials that should be provided after meals, and as a pet owner, it’s your responsibility to give him water after taken up meals. Therefore you should purchase a pet drinking fountain. It is a fountain with a capacity of 80- ounce that has a USB connection and a 5V pump. Your kitten will feel ease while drinking with this utensil.
It is an excellent option to set a meal schedule and stick to it with conviction, such as providing the animal with food available at all times for it to self-regulate. In this case, we will have to keep checking that the cat does not start to gain weight, although most cats eat strictly what is necessary, there are greedy cats, willing to eat everything they have within their reach.
Cat feeding If we decide that our cat follow a feeding schedule:
He must eat 2 or 3 times a day
We can alternate intakes with dry and wet foods:
- Morning: dry feed or croquettes
- Noon: can or homemade food
- Night: dry feed or croquettes
If we decide that our cat feeds at his own pace:
We must provide a daily of about 100 gr of dry food to avoid decomposition. This quantity is approximate, and it will depend on the age of the animal and the manufacturer’s specifications.